The brief: diplaced brief art013-2 (1)
What does the brief want?
To produce a design/s print and social media art work for the annual Refugee Day (20th June)
What is refugee day?
The United Nations’ (UN) World Refugee Day is observed on June 20 each year. This event honors the courage, strength and determination of women, men and children who are forced to flee their homeland under threat of persecution, conflict and violence. (https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/un/world-refugee-day, 2016)
What is a refugee?
My thoughts/feelings towards those:
- Not all our terrorists
- Need help
- Fleeing their homes, families and lives
- No other options
- War torn countries
- Looking to support their families
- Their not a threat!! They are human looking for a safe place to raise their families without
I researched into art that was already around based on the refugee crisis.
Heres a few of my favourites:
I want to take inspiration from these as they are all relatively simple but there so powerful in what they say without the use of words!
Here’s a just a few of the famous people who are or were refugees (it also includes the children of refugees).
- Steve Jobs – He’s a child of a refugee
- Mika -famous singer who fled from Beirut Lebanon .
- Wyclef Jean – Haitian refugee. Named group Fugees (short for refugee).
- Bob Marley – Fled Jamaica to Miami after being shot during political violence.
- Rita Ora – singer. Came to UK from Kosovo in 1991.
- David Miliband – British MP and son of a Belgian Jewish refugee
- Ed Miliband – Leader of the Labour Party. Son of a Belgian Jewish refugee
You might not personally like or know these people but it is proof that refugees can be just as successful / important to the world as anyone else.